Yarn stash from Prague

Did I find any yarn shops in Prague? Well I found two of the three recommended by http://www.alltangledup.com/. (her posting of Jan 17th 2006). I googled Prague yarn shops before I left and this blog came up. It was very informative and the directions and addresses were good. Anyway I took a morning to myself and found these two: GALANTERIE and MAR LEN.

Galanterie was a small drapery shop, quite old fashioned by our standards and they had a selection of yarn on half of one wall, and most of it was on sale, however when I chose some their stock was so low that I could only get 2 balls of one yarn and 3 balls of another. It was an amusing experience as I had no Czech and neither of the two ladies had any English.

I moved on then to Mar Len which is like an Aladdin's Cave. At first I thought there was no yarn as when I entered the shop there were the most beautiful array of fabrics, lots of silks, tapestries, etc, lots from the East. Then I spied the Yarn walls. Two short walls of yarn. Lots and lots of it. Some of it man made fibres but lots of cotton, silk and viscose mixes. I really had to restrain myself. Both from space in my bag and space at home. Its ridiculous the temptations that force themselves on me in the way of yarn. Anyway I bought it!



This is the only yarn I bought in MarLen. The colour is a bit bright in the photo, but its lovely shades of beige and cream and I bought enough to make a cardi for me. Its 60% cotton and 30% viscose and 10% acrylic.



These two balls of cotton I bought in Galanterie and I think I will make socks from it. Its 100% cotton and very soft


Now my big disappointment! The shop only had these three balls of this really lovely soft Bamboo yarn. Its a lovely shade of cream with slight biege flecking. Its 80% bamboo and 20% cotton.


The complete Prague stash which cost me only 20euro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So cheap one wonders why yarn is so expensive over here.




Comments

Anonymous said…
oh Ger, you happy knitter, you! what a find for 20euros!
alltangledup said…
well done on finding yarn!! Doesn't it just make the memories of the trip a little bit nicer? ;-)
Anonymous said…
Happy ypu, what a stash for so little! Prague is a great city, isn't it.
prague lodging said…
I am also looking for a yarn shop and I'm glad I found your blog..THANK you for posting this blog of yours..

Popular posts from this blog

My Mam

Me and Ravelry etc

5oth Posting!