Recent Reads

This is a completely wonderful book. Well written and a compulsive read. I will certainly read this one again. 'Death' is the narrator of this novel - it is set in Nazi Germany and tells the story of Liesel, who steals books to read. She takes amazing risks to get her hands on books and the pleasure of reading and telling stories sustain her during the awful war years.
This is also a story of struggle, real friendship, fear, love and beauty of the person and literature. I would highly recommend it.

This is a dark, haunting book, full of secrets and blackmail. It tells the tale of a newly appointed judge, Simone, who is the family breadwinner after her husband faces bankruptcy. The family had to move to a remote seaside village. Simone is haunted by her past and her relationships with Michael an American Vietnam war veteran, and his friend Calvin.
I enjoyed this atmospheric novel, and it is quite a pageturner, which leaves you still wondering.

This one is based around No 44 Scotland Street in Edinburgh and the residents therein. Its an extremely warm book and very well written. The characters are well drawn and easy to relate to, full of humour and fun. It seems to be the 2nd of 3 books in a series and although I have not read the other 2, it stands alone and is a good read.
I have also read a few of the series 'Ladies No 1 Detective Agency' by the same author and the same warmth and reality are present. A lovely light read.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Ger, I keep hearing about the Alexander McCall Smith books set in Edinburgh. Now that I've read your review and along with the others, I'm now compelled to put it on my reading list (not that I'm doing much reading these days, but soon...very soon!).
Joanna said…
Thanks for visiting my blog! My book club is selecting books tomorrow, and we will read The Book Thief for sure next year!
Joanna said…
Thanks for visiting my blog - I think the one's you like will be my choice too. My book club will read the Book Thief too this year.
Holly said…
I'm in the middle of the Book Thief myself. Really enjoying it. Like your new blog appearance too!

Popular posts from this blog

Me and Ravelry etc

Knit Lit

My Mam